Who doesn’t love fresh flowers! What is the difference between fresh flowers and silk flowers? Flowers play a big part in weddings from the bridal bouquet, bridesmaids bouquets, hairpieces, boutonnieres and decor. The cost for flowers especially fresh flowers can easily bust your budget. There are many questions you may have about flowers when planning your wedding. How much are fresh flowers and silk flowers? Can you really see the difference between fresh vs silk flowers? How much budget am I willing to put for flowers at my weddings?
For Indian weddings, most fake/faux flowers are made in silk. So, when we refer to silk flowers we mean fake/faux flowers.
We have Amna from Lemon Truffle Designs who specialize in boutique event and floral design decor sharing her expertise on floral designs. She shares her knowledge and the Pros and Cons on Fresh flowers and Silk flowers.
Amna from Lemon Truffle Decor & Floral Design:
Faux Flowers Vs. Fresh Flowers
What is the difference between fresh flowers and silk flowers?
A common décor dilemma every bride faces is whether to use fresh flowers and silk flowers for their event. Each option comes with its pros and cons and below are some of the items I feel you should consider before making your decision.
Silk Florals Pros
- Cost can be more reasonable as you can rent silk florals versus buying. Keep in mind however, the more “real” looking faux florals used, the higher the rental cost.
- Allergen Free
- No risk of flowers not being in season
- Variety of colours available
- Preparation can occur months in advance, one less variable to worry about
- Light weight to transport
- Durable and long lasting
Silk Floral Cons
- The highest quality silk florals can cost as much or more than fresh flowers
- Limited to the colours from the florist’s inventory (if these are being rented)
- No smell (or artificial, plastic smell)
- Can look plastic and tacky if high-end silks are not used
Fresh Flower Pros
- Movement and beauty that can’t be beat by silk flowers
- Natural scent
- Custom made according to the theme of your wedding versus having to rent from a limited inventory of what the vendor offers
- Traditional- for years brides have wanted to carry fresh flowers down the aisle!
- Brings happiness when sent as a gift to loved ones
Fresh Flower Cons
- Seasonality may affect availability, e.g. peonies are only available a certain time of the year and while they can be imported, the price can often go up considerably.
- Contain pollen and affect those with pollen allergies
- Higher price depending on colour and selection
- Not long lasting
In the end, the choice between fresh and silk flower is a personal one. Personally, I love fresh flowers as there is no comparison but if you do choose faux florals here are some tips:
- Choose a lighter palette as it tends to look more natural. Brighter colours can sometimes look tacky if not properly put together.
- Choose high quality silks with a “real touch feel”. This gives the arrangement more bounce and a more realistic look.
- To balance cost, go halfway where you can mix some fresh flowers and silk flowers.
- Use fresh florals for places where your guests can’t directly access, smell or touch the flowers such as a floral arch or the stage/backdrop.
Lots to think about! We hope Amna from Lemon Truffle Designs‘ insights and tips on Silk Flowers and Fresh Flowers helps you make your decision on flowers. Please contact Lemon Truffle Designs for more information.
Check out our blog section for more on wedding planning tips!